IT’S OFFICIALLY THE SILLY SEASON! I love Christmas. I love spending time with family and loved ones away from work and my every day routine. With Christmas comes lots of parties, so today I thought I would share with you my go-to festive makeup look. These are the products I use and steps I take when getting ready for a Christmas party. It’s nothing over the top, but it’s super fresh, easy, and affordable too!
My base has stayed consistent now for a couple of months. The products I love using in order of application are:
- Mecca Cosmetica Multi-Purpose Plumping Balm (applied all over the face)
- Benefit Cosmetics Porefessional Primer (applied to targeted oily T-zone area)
- Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless foundation (applied with a damp beauty sponge from BYS Cosmetics)
- Maybelline Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser concealer (patted in with my fingers under my eyes and on any blemishes)
- Rimmel Stay Matte setting powder (applied all over the face)
- Tarte Ready, Set, Radiant setting spray
This gives me a fresh, yet shine-free base (which I need with my oily skin in this hot climate). These products all work well together and I get a good few hours of wear out of these products, which is all you need for a party (well, if you’re a Nanna like me at least).
I think one of my favourite steps in my makeup application is applying bronzer, blush, and highlighter to give shape and life to my face. For me, Christmas makeup is all about the red lip and lots of sparkle, so I go in with the bronzer and highlighter to set that off. For once, I reign it in with the blush so as not to clash with the red lipstick. I like to mix these products up depending on my mood, but here’s what I’ve been reaching for recently:
- Innoxa Soft Contour Face Palette to define and add warmth to my face (I also use the highlighter!)
- Too Faced Grande Hotel Cafe Limited Edition Collection – Gingerbread Cookie palette – Gingerbread bronzer (to add a warm glow to my cheeks) *this was a limited edition collection from last year, so is sadly no longer available – I love pulling it out at this time of year though because it is so on theme. You could substitute any luminous bronzer you have though!*
- Australis x KPOP Highlight or NYX Strobe of Genius palette to further highlight my face and body
I’ve been keeping brows super simple lately since they are growing out pretty well. I used to always use a powder or pomade to really carve out my brows but lately I’ve been skipping that in favour of something a bit more natural. You can tell I’m on a Benefit binge at the moment with the following products being my go-to lately:
- Goof Proof Eyebrow Pencil (I use shade 2)
- Gimme Brow Gel (I use shade 3)
- High Brow (to fix up any mistakes and highlight my brow bone)
This is the time of year to embrace sparkle – I feel like it’s the only time I can get away with it personally. I like to keep my eyes fairly neutral so that my lipstick is the real star. Gold goes so well with red so I lean towards gold shimmers and warm toned browns at this time of year (which is different to what I normally reach for!).
My basic routine here consists of using a primer all over my lid and then setting that down with a matte or satin ivory shade (if I don’t have one handy I just use my Rimmel Stay Matte powder). Then I apply some warm browns in my crease, using a slightly darker shade to deepen the crease and outer V plus lower lash line. I then usually use my finger to apply a gold shimmer to the centre of my lids. I like to highlight my inner corners as well, sometimes with a super reflective shimmer shadow, or otherwise with whatever highlighter I used on my face.
Some key products and shades that I recommend to create this easy look:
- Essence I Love Colour Intensifying Eyeshadow Base
- ColourPop Super Shock Shadow in Vega (for intense sparkle action) or Pressed Powder Shadow Palette in I Think I Love You – specifically those warm, matte transition shades (Belair, My Type) and the gold shimmers (Better Bitter, Rule Breaker)
- Tarte Tarteist Pro to Go palette (this palette is perfect for travel or on-the-go Christmas parties with its perfect transition shades and beautiful gold shimmers
- ColourPop Creme Gel Liner in Call Me (a perfect brown liner for use on the lash line – I like to smudge mine out slightly)
- Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara (or whatever your favourite mascara is!)
- False lashes optional – if I’m going to wear any, I love Eylure #117
As I’ve mentioned earlier, I think Christmas is all about rocking a red lip. As most Christmas parties involve eating and drinking I tend to reach for a matte liquid lipstick with good staying power; however, I do own amazing red bullet lipsticks and balms that I also wear around this time of year for work or quick catch-ups!
- BH Cosmetics Waterproof Lip Liner in Delight
- BH Cosmetics Liquid Lipstick in Glory
- Nars lipstick in Jungle Red
- Benefit BeneTint and BeneBalm
That concludes my go-to festive makeup routine! What makeup do you love wearing for the holidays? I think a red lip is a classic everywhere, but I love to embrace the bronze and shimmer as it is summer here in Australia! I hope you have a wonderful holiday wherever you are.
Lots of love,